Thursday, January 13, 2011

Smiley Face!!!

Ok, so I'll start where I left of yesterday...me, Emily, Sarah, the other Sarah, Caroline, Ben and Trevor went out...TO LAVERY'S PUB!!! It was pretty awesome (pictures to follow, they haven't been emailed to me yet!). It was just such a fun and low-key atmosphere, and we had some really awesome conversation and it was just the best. I wouldn't mind spending a lot more time there in the future haha!

So then we went back to the hostel, had a mini little dance party, and went to bed. We're pretty awesome.

Today we had lectures aaaalllllllllll dayyyyyyyyy. It was really interesting, and parts were absolutely hilarious, but it was just a lot of sitting when we could have been out experiencing Belfast. One awesome (kind of) thing did happen. I found Joy Street! I don't know if it was the right one though. The guy who is facilitating our Belfast leg of the trip, Doug, took me to find Grandma's house, which was 111 Joy Street...but the Joy street we found only went up to #36. I was (I'm going to sound melodramatic here, but it's true) bitterly disappointed. We tried to find another Joy street, or one that maybe continued on the other side of the fire station where Joy Street ended, but we ended up all tangled in loyalist neighborhoods (which are unionist - those who want to stay in the UK - neighborhoods policed by paramilitary groups) so we decided to just go back. I will find the house if it's the last thing I do though. It was just such a letdown to be thinking that I was going to get to see it today and then realizing that actually, I have no idea when or if I'll be able to.

Anywho, here's Joy Street:

The street sign

A plaque for an IRA man killed by British soldiers

The view down the street - not the best quality, sorry

After all the lectures were over, all 10 of us girls as well as the female professor (Pamela) went out to dinner with a friend of Pamela's who lives in Belfast. It was really fun and we had a great time talking. I got to ask her about growing up during the Troubles and I talked a little about Grandma, other Laverys and our history. And then I had the BEST chocolate cheesecake EVER...oh, how I love cheesecake (as long as there's no fruity crap on it!).

After dinner, we went back to the hostel and the girls minus Pamela hung out in the TV room and absolutely blasted girl music (think 'Man, I Feel Like A Woman' and 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', among others) and had a dance party...it was hilarious and so much fun! We had a great time just asking each other questions (there was no such thing as 'I plead the 5th'!) and praying for each other and just talking about life in general. Girls night is a wonderful thing.

Now, it's just after midnight and we're all getting ready for bed. We have to be at the bus stop tomorrow at 9:30 (I feel like I'm back in grade school!). I don't have a clue what we're doing though.

In response to the suggestions of where to go around Belfast, I know for a fact we're going to Giant's Causeway, and I think we're going to go to see where the Titanic was built. Other than that, we're going to have to plan everything if it's going to get done, and we have to be in groups, so I'll see how much I can squeeze in. I did see the Botanic Gardens when we went to the Ulster Museum, they're right around where the hostel is so we got to see the Como-like building. I can definitely see why Grandma loved it.

I guess that's it for today. Sweet dreams!

Love,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found Joy Street. It's hard to believe that the old house would still be there, but who knows? If you don't find it, no worries. You were on the street and been places that no doubt my mom and their family have been. Sounds like you had a fun party - I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Cool pictures, as always. Sweet dreams, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, sounds like you are highly enjoying yourself:)
    Continue enjoying the trip and soak it all in!!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to be there... you should have smuggled me in your bag. i bet you had a ton of fun at your girls night! me and mom are doing one of those tomorrow.. we should do a girls night when you get back! love you! night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at Google Maps for 111 Joy Street, Belfast, UK... it looks as though it's now H.C. Allen Motor Factors. It's definitely an older building, so it may have been a house at one time. Looks rather derelict. But: you've been on Joy Street, which is pretty dang cool. I think your Great Uncle Harry Stewart worked in the shipyards for a while (although that would have been years after the Titanic, so it wasn't -our- fault!). Meantime, give my regards to Finn MacCool ('Fionn mac Cumhail' lit. 'Finn, son of Cumhail') if you see him at the Causeway, and don't spend too long at the Old Bushmills Distillery; remember, there's study to be done.

    ReplyDelete