Sunday, January 9, 2011

I'm in Belfast!

Right off the bat, I want to thank all of you who have been commenting on my posts - I love hearing from you!

I'll keep this post short, for the simple reason that we just didn't do much today. I, along with about 10 other students, went to church this morning in Dublin. It was the church Fergus used to teach at before he retired. It was a really good service, and the music was great. I really enjoyed it.

After church, we booked it to the bus station where we caught the 1 o'clock bus to Belfast. I'm in Grandma's city! We walked about a mile from the bus station to Arnie's Backpackers (our hostel - it's really small, we basically took it over!). After we got settled in, we took a little walk around the city and had a class meeting. Then we went out to dinner at this cute little Italian restaurant, and we came back to the hostel where one of the Bethel guys taught me to play Rook (I'm really awful - it's a bummer it's a team game haha! My poor partner!). Now, I'm calling it a night a bit early (1am, I rock!).

So now for the best part of the day - while we were walking around Belfast, we came across a bar called Lavery's! I don't have a clue if that is the same Lavery we're related to, but even if it's not I think that's just awesome! I'm definitely going to have to spend some time there :) I can't help but wonder, as I walk around the city, whether I might be walking where Grandma Terry once walked or if she had been to the places I'll be going to. I have a feeling this is going to be a very emotional leg of my trip.

No pictures today, I don't have time to upload them before I fall asleep. I did get a couple good night shots of The Queen's University in Belfast, so I'll add those tomorrow.

Good night!

Love,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. You may not know where or when, but at some point in the next couple days you'll be in the exact spot occupied by your dear departed Grandmother many years ago. Savor the time you have in Belfast. I envy you.

    If you go to Lavery's pub and have either a pork chop that is the same consistency as a slate shingle, or a chocolate chip cookie that could pass for a knuckle but still tastes good, the place is definitely run by a blood relative and probably one who took cooking lessons from your Grandma.

    I'm convinced that Grandma Terry is up in heaven smiling at you. She'd be very proud of your independent spirit, your willingness to step out of your comfort zone and across the Atlantic, and your desire to look into your roots.

    You rock, kiddo! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...And seconded by your lunatic Uncle! You're in a city that I love, and had a profound effect on your family. I'm not sure Lavery's Gin Mill is a direct relative, but it's a small family overall. One thing to keep in mind; you have family on both sides of the divide, and in any case, Catholic or Protestant, I've never met people quite so open and lovely as the Irish (although the Thai are a close second), and I hope you and your group take that with you when you leave.

    ReplyDelete