Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1-17-11's post

Today was rough. Very emotional…not fun at all. First, we went to meet with a guy who worked with the WAVE trauma center, which helps victims and families of victims of the Troubles. The man told us the story of how his wife was killed by an IRA bomb while she was working at her father’s fish shop. It was a very intense story, and obviously it had me in tears. He talked about his daughter and how she was only 2 when her mother was killed. The first thing that popped into my mind was “How can they do that to someone with a family?” Then I realized that everyone has a family, even if the only one in the family is God. That was a huge deal for me when I realized it.

After that talk, we went back to our “classroom” for lunch, and then we watched Bloody Sunday. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t cry at all during the movie, but afterwards we got in a circle to pray, basically one giant group hug, and I pretty much lost it. It was rough…I was in tears basically the whole prayer (which seemed to go on forever because I couldn’t stop crying, and then I realized that people probably noticed it, and then I cried harder, and on and on and on…). It was not a great little bit.

After that, we went back to the hostel and had dinner. That was when I realized that tonight was our last night in Belfast…that hit me like a ton of bricks. I LOVE this place, and now I have to leave it. We decided to go out to celebrate our last night in Belfast, and so we started off at Lavery’s (where I DID take pictures, so I’ll have those uploaded as soon as I can!) and then we went to this really fun little pub called Fibber McGee’s – awesome! They had live music, and the band dedicated “Galway Girls” to us Americans(just us girls, not the guys haha). It was so much fun!

Tomorrow we leave to spend the day in Derry, then we go to some place called Corrymeela (I still haven’t figured out what that is, but I do know it doesn’t have wifi – so maybe don’t expect any updates for a few days). After that is our free time, so we’ll see how that goes. I think I’m going with a group to Galway to see the Cliffs of Mohr and then Connemara because I hear they’re both absolutely gorgeous. That’s a 2 day tour, and then I’m not sure what we’ll spend the last day doing – I’ll keep you posted as I get wifi!

Love,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. I think I told you this before, but your great-grandmother (Grace) used to sell poppies for veterans on a corner in Belfast. One day, about an hour after she left the corner, a car bomb went off a few feet from where she had been standing. Close call. If blowing up elderly women and little kids makes a political statement other than "I'm so selfish and care so little for my innocent fellow humans that I'll gladly spend their lives to further my own ambitions," then I don't know what it is.

    I'm sure at some point you'll get back to Belfast - don't be too concerned. I've never heard "Galway Girls" but I'm sure that was a hoot.

    Have a blast at Corrymeela and if you feel like it just put your thoughts on Word each day, then transfer them to your Blog when you get WiFi. I just checked out the Cliffs of Mohr on Google Images. Fantastic - I hope you get good weather! Connemara looks like it would be beautiful in the spring - I don't know how it'll be at this time of year, but the Abby looks timeless. I hope your card isn't filling up too fast in your camera.

    Have a blast and write when you can. I love you, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite often, here in the US, bands in Irish pubs love to sing IRA-related songs and yell anti- British slogans. My typical response is "You went to Roseville High, you wouldn't know an oppressor if it came up and bit you on the tush, and yet you're glorifying a bunch of murderous thugs." Nobody on the other "Loyalist" side is any better at all, at all- like your Dad said, they're horrible and selfish. Thing is? Things -are- getting better. Despite the terrorism and hard-hardheartedness of the two sides. As for Galway Girl, was it this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFlfSeh-Ts8

    Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, if you get a chance in Galway to take a picture of a traditional fishing sailboat called a húicéir ('hooker'...yes...now stop giggling...)your Uncle would appreciate it. He's kinda nuts about the boats, so he is...and don't fall in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Manda, sounds pretty emotional, but just remember emotions are good to have;) I hope your traveling goes well and you all stay safe! Can't wait to see pictures and get another update! Soak it all up!!

    ReplyDelete